Guliyeva Rugia Agasafar
Military Hospital of the Internal Troops (Baku, Azerbaijan)
Purpose of the study To study the epidemiological aspects and features of the course of fungal infection in military personnel. Material and methods. Within 5 years, after applying for medical dermatological help to the Central Hospital of the Internal Troops, in the department of skin and venereal diseases, 250 military personnel aged 20 to 50 with fungal diseases were identified and involved in further research.
Research methods: clinical, statistical, microscopic — detection of fungal infection. Statistical analysis of the research results was carried out using the STATISTICA system for Windows 7.0 and the SPSS program.
Research results. The highest incidence of foot mycoses was found among the military personnel of the older age groups. Relatively less frequently, servicemen aged 20 to 29 were registered with the studied pathology in relation to the previous groups (12.9%). The age groups under 20 years old (1.2%) were the smallest in terms of the number of cases. Thus, the level of occurrence among military personnel of various nosological forms of dermatomycosis was determined (Figure 2). Almost a little more than half of the sample consisted of patients with dermatophytosis (B-35) in accordance with ICD-10, and superficial candidiasis of the skin and keratomycosis occurred in equal numbers of cases.
Conclusions. Summarizing the above, we can conclude that the actual practice of registering fungal diseases in a certain group of military personnel has been studied. In the structure of dermatomycosis, mycoses of the feet were in the lead, the second place was occupied by dermatomycosis in the area of large folds, mycosis of the trunk. The frequency of various nosological forms of the studied pathology in the examined military personnel fluctuated within wide limits
Key Words: fungal infection, military personnel, mycoses, prevalence, risk factors.
Гюлиева, Р.А. Современные данные о распространенности и этиопатогенезе грибковых инфекций среди военнослужащих // Східноєвропейський журнал внутрішньої та сімейної медицини. – 2022. – № 1. – С. 43-46. doi: 10.15407/internalmed2022.01.043
Guliyeva RA. Sovremennye dannye o rasprostranennosti i etiopatogeneze gribkovyh infekcij sredi voennosluzhashchih. [Modern data on the prevalence and etiopathogenesis of fungal infections among military personnel]. Shidnoevr. z. vnutr. simejnoi med. 2022;1:43-46. Russian. doi: 10.15407/internalmed2022.01.043
- Sokolova TV, Maljarchuk ТА. Mnogocentrovoe issledovanie problemy mikozov stop v RF. Prichiny nejeffektivnosti i strategija ob”ektivizacii ocenki lechenija topicheskimi antimikotikami. Іmmunopatologija, allergologija i infektologija. 2014;2:66-78. Russian
- Abastabar M, Jedi A, Guillot J, Ilkit M, Eidi S, Hedayati M, Shokohi T, Daie Ghazvini R, Rezaei‐Matehkolaei A, Katiraee F, Javidnia J, Ahmadi B, Badali H. In vitro activities of 15 antifungal drugs against a large collection of clinical isolates of Microsporum canis. Mycoses. 2019;62(11):1069-1078. http://dx.doi.org/10.1111/myc.12986
- de Albuquerque Maranhão F, Oliveira-Júnior J, dos Santos Araújo M, Silva D. Mycoses in northeastern Brazil: epidemiology and prevalence of fungal species in 8 years of retrospective analysis in Alagoas. Brazilian Journal of Microbiology. 2019;50(4):969-978. http://dx.doi.org/10.1007/s42770-019-00096-0
- Buil J, Meijer E, Denning D, Verweij P, Meis J. Burden of serious fungal infections in the Netherlands. Mycoses. 2020;63(6):625-631. http://dx.doi.org/10.1111/myc.13089
- Gera S, PG Zaini D, Wang S, Abdul Rahaman S, Chia R, Lim K. Ingrowing toenails in children and adolescents: is nail avulsion superior to nonoperative treatment?. Singapore Medical Journal. 2019;60(2):94-96. http://dx.doi.org/10.11622/smedj.2018106
- Ghannoum M, Mukherjee P, Isham N, Markinson B, Rosso J, Leal L. Examining the importance of laboratory and diagnostic testing when treating and diagnosing onychomycosis. International Journal of Dermatology. 2017;57(2):131-138. http://dx.doi.org/10.1111/ijd.13690
- Ginter-Hanselmayer G, Nenoff P. Clinically relevant mycoses dermatomycoses. In: Elisabeth P, ed. Clinically Relevant Mycoses. Cham, CH: Springer; 2019. 145-176 p. .http://dx.doi.org/10.1007/978-3-319-92300-0_10
- Gupta A, Gupta G, Jain H, Lynde C, Foley K, Daigle D, Cooper E, Summerbell R. The prevalence of unsuspected onychomycosis and its causative organisms in a multicentre Canadian sample of 30 000 patients visiting physicians’ offices. Journal of the European Academy of Dermatology and Venereology. 2016;30(9):1567-1572. http://dx.doi.org/10.1111/jdv.13677
- Mannan S, Bakar M, Mamun S, Biswas R, Hossain I. Prevalence of metabolic syndrome among patients with superficial mycotic infections in a tertiary care hospital. International Journal of Research in Dermatology. 2020;6(6):723. http://dx.doi.org/10.18203/issn.2455-4529.intjresdermatol20204560
- Otašević S, Momčilović S, Golubović M, Ignjatović A, Rančić N, Đorđević M, Ranđelović M, Hay R, Arsić‐Arsenijević V. Species distribution and epidemiological characteristics of superficial fungal infections in Southeastern Serbia. Mycoses. 2019;62(5):458-465. http://dx.doi.org/10.1111/myc.12900
- Papini M, Piraccini B, Difonzo E, Brunoro A. Epidemiology of onychomycosis in Italy: prevalence data and risk factor identification. Mycoses. 2015;58(11):659-664. http://dx.doi.org/10.1111/myc.12396
- Rudramurthy S, Shaw D. Epidemiology of Superficial Fungal Infections in Asia. Clinical Practice of Medical Mycology in Asia. 2019;:9-37. http://dx.doi.org/10.1007/978-981-13-9459-1_2
- Saunte D, Piraccini B, Sergeev A, Prohić A, Sigurgeirsson B, Rodríguez‐Cerdeira C, Szepietowski J, Faergemann J, Arabatzis M, Pereiro M, Skerlev M, Lecerf P, Schmid‐Grendelmeier P, Nenoff P, Nowicki R, Emtestam L, Hay R. A survey among dermatologists: diagnostics of superficial fungal infections – what is used and what is needed to initiate therapy and assess efficacy?. Journal of the European Academy of Dermatology and Venereology. 2018;:. http://dx.doi.org/10.1111/jdv.15361
- Stewart C, Algu L, Kamran R, Leveille C, Abid K, Rae C, Lipner S. Effect of onychomycosis and treatment on patient-reported quality-of-life outcomes: A systematic review. Journal of the American Academy of Dermatology. 2021;85(5):1227-1239. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.jaad.2020.05.143
- Zhu P, Shao J, Yu J. Subcutaneous Dermatophytosis caused by Trichophyton rubrum of Tinea Pedis in An Immunocompetent Patient. Mycopathologia. 2021;186(4):565-567. http://dx.doi.org/10.1007/s11046-021-00572-y
- Pereira Leite Júnior Amadio Janaina Simões Sara Dermatophytosis in Military in the Central-West Region of Brazil: Literature Review. 2013;177:1-2. DOI:10.1007/s11046-013-9714-4