Emil Mukhtarov Ph.D., Doctor of Philosophy Urologist
Baku Health Center, Urology Center, Baku, Azerbaijan
Although targeted kidney cancer (RCC) therapy has resulted in interferon replacement (IFN), IFN is still widely used in metastatic RCC. However, so far, interferon used after nephrectomy. We present the results of the use of interferon in patients with primary RCC in place. 9 patients who did not undergo surgery and did not receive targeted therapy for various reasons. The average age is 67.1 ± 10.9 years (36-77 years). Women – 3 (33.3%), men – 6 (66.7%). One patient had cystic RCC, the rest had RCC. 6 (66.7%) patients had metastases in lungs, 1 – metastases in the brain. Interferon-alpha-2a was administered as follows: Initial dose: 3 million units per day, gradually increasing over 8-12 weeks up to 18 million U / day, and, if possible, up to 36 million U / day as follows: 1-3 days – 3 million units / day, 4-6 days – 9 million units / day, 7-9 days – 18 million units / day, while portability increases the dose in 10-84 days to 36 million units / day. Maintenance dose: at the maximum tolerated dose 3 times a week, but not more than 36 million U / day. Duration of treatment: not less 8 weeks, preferably at least 12 weeks. If there was an effect, the treatment continued, if there was no effect, it stopped. The maximum duration of treatment was 16 months. Only 3 (33.3%) patients had stable disease (SD). 6 (66.7%) patients died as a result of RCC. But in one patient, SV lasts 96 months. Our results confirm limited activity IFN monotherapy for this disease, but in exceptional cases, its use is possible.
Key words: renal cell carcinoma, metastases, interferon.
1. Motzer R, Mazumdar M, Bacik J, Berg W, Amsterdam A, Ferrara J. Survival and Prognostic Stratification of 670 Patients With Advanced Renal Cell Carcinoma. Journal of Clinical Oncology. 1999;17(8):2530-2530. http://dx.doi.org/10.1200/jco.19220.127.116.110
2. Flanigan R, Mickisch G, Sylvester R, Tangen C, Van Poppel H, Crawford E. RE: CYTOREDUCTIVE NEPHRECTOMY IN PATIENTS WITH METASTATIC RENAL CANCER: A COMBINED ANALYSIS. Journal of Urology. 2005;174(1):397-397. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/s0022-5347(05)60142-5
3. Əmiraslanov Ə, Muxtarov E. Metastatik böyrək hüceyrəli karsinoma zamanı sunitinib tətbiqində ilk təcrübəmiz: ilkin nəticələr. Sağlamlıq, Bakı. 2010;1:18-21.
4. Amiraslanov AT, Muhtarov JeG. Ingibitory angiogeneza v lechenii metastaticheskogo pochechno-kletochnogo raka.Azerbajdzhanskij Medicinskij Zhurnal. 2011;1:132-134. Russian
5. Shinohara N, Abe T, Sazawa A, Maruyama S, Shindo J, Sato S, Suzuki S, Nonomura K. Interferon- -based Immunotherapy in Metastatic Renal Cell Carcinoma Patients with the Primary Tumor In Situ. Japanese Journal of Clinical Oncology. 2011;42(2):113-119. http://dx.doi.org/10.1093/jjco/hyr176